Can international students get paid?

Yes, international students can get paid in Canada. There are two main ways that international students can get paid in Canada:

1. On-campus employment

International students with a valid study permit are eligible to work on campus without a work permit. On-campus employment can include working in the library, cafeteria, or bookstore. International students can also work as research assistants or teaching assistants.

2. Off-campus employment

International students who want to work off-campus need to apply for a work permit. There are two main types of work permits that international students can apply for: the Cooperative Education Work Permit and the Post-Graduation Work Permit.

Cooperative Education Work Permit

The Cooperative Education Work Permit allows international students to work off-campus as part of their academic program. To qualify for this work permit, students must be enrolled in a full-time cooperative education program at a designated learning institution.

Post-Graduation Work Permit

The Post-Graduation Work Permit allows international students who have graduated from a Canadian designated learning institution to work off-campus for up to three years.

In addition to the above, international students can also get paid in Canada by starting their own business or by working as freelancers.

Here are some additional things to keep in mind about working in Canada as an international student:

  • The maximum number of hours that international students can work off-campus is 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time during the summer break.
  • International students must pay taxes on their earnings in Canada.
  • International students who are working off-campus must maintain their valid study permit.