Department Of International Relations And Cooperative Governance
Department Of International Relations And Cooperative Governance, The Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO) is the foreign ministry of the South African government. It is responsible for South Africa’s relationships with foreign countries and international organizations, and runs South Africa’s diplomatic missions. The department is headed by the Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, currently Lindiwe Sisulu.
Formerly known as the Department of Foreign Affairs, it was renamed the Department of International Relations and Cooperation by President Jacob Zuma in May 2009. In the 2010 national budget, it received an appropriation of 4,824.4 million rand, and had 4,533 employees.
The Department of International Relations and Cooperation’s (DIRCO) vision is championing an African continent, which is prosperous, peaceful, democratic, non-racial, non-sexist and united and which aspires to a world that is just and equitable.
DIRCO’s mission is to formulate, coordinate, implement and manage South Africa’s foreign policy and international relations programmes, promote South Africa’s national interest and values and the African Renaissance (and create a better world for all).
- Through bilateral and multilateral interactions protect and promote South African national interests and values
- Conduct and coordinate South Africa’s international relations and promote its foreign policy objectives
- Monitor international developments and advise government on foreign policy and related domestic matters
- Protect South Africa’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- Contribute to the formulation of international law and enhance respect for the provisions thereof
- Promote multilateralism to secure a rules based international system
- Maintain a modern, effective and excellence driven department
- Provide consular services to South African nationals abroad
- Provide a world class and uniquely South African State Protocol service.
The Department of International Relations and Cooperation adheres to the following values:
- Batho Pele
- Constitutional Values (Chapter 10).
download the contact of the department