Michigan Department Of Correctional Services
Michigan Department Of Correctional Services, Michigan is a state in the Great Lakes and Midwestern regions of the United States. The state’s name, Michigan, originates from the (Ojibwe word) mishigamaa, meaning “large water” or “large lake”. Michigan is the tenth most populous of the 50 United States, with the 11th most extensive total area, and the largest state by total area east of the Mississippi River.
Mission, Vision and Values
- We remain committed to the protection of the public, safety of our staff and security of offenders.
- We actively engage in the development of effective criminal justice policy.
- We ensure sound management using proven fiscal practices and outcome-oriented strategies.
- We hire, train, equip, support and mentor a high quality staff and hold them to the highest professional standards.
- We provide humane and protective custodial care, rehabilitative opportunities and reentry assistance for offenders under our supervision.
- We establish meaningful partnerships with public and private entities to assist us in successfully accomplishing our mission.
- We conduct all of our duties and responsibilities with the highest degree of integrity, expectations for excellence and respect for the value and dignity of human life.
INTEGRITY: Doing the right thing for the right reason.
TEAMWORK: Working together to get the job done.
LEADERSHIP: Inspiring others to accomplish the mission.
EXCELLENCE: Maintaining the highest standards in your professional and personal life.
RESPECT: Treating others as you would like to be treated.
LOYALTY: Demonstrating commitment and dedication to the organization and to each other.
The Michigan Department of Corrections is one of the principal state departments. Final responsibility for the operation of the department rests with the Governor who appoints the Director, with the advice and consent of the state Senate. The Director serves at the pleasure of the Governor. The Director has full power and authority in the supervision and control of the department’s affairs and is its chief administrative officer.
Director: Heidi E. Washington
Hours: Mon. – Fri. 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. EST
Department Contact Form
206 E. Michigan Ave.
P.O. Box 30003
Lansing, MI 48909
Map & Driving Directions