Doctoral Studentship: Environmental Health
The CSIR has an opportunity for a Doctoral Studentship: Environmental Health in the Climate Studies, Modelling and Environmental Health (CSM&EH) Research Group within the Natural Resources and the Environmental (NRE) Unit.
The incumbent will help understand the associations between air pollution levels and human health in a community of the Limpopo province, to assess and quantify the potential health impacts or risks from potential air quality offset intervention in the community and to contribute to a better understanding of the linkages between exposure to air pollution and the impacts on human health in South Africa.
This opportunity is based in Pretoria.
- Prepare a research proposal to be approved by both the CSIR and the university;
- Prepare a written literature overview or assessment of the current state-of-the-art around the research topic;
- Perform original research to solve the open research problem that the student identified in his/her proposal;
- Produce sufficient quantity and quality of peer-reviewed publications around this research topic;
- Compile the Doctoral thesis and defending the work successfully;
- Contribute to extra activities that may be outside the scope of the Doctoral research as per the needs of the research group from time to time.
Qualifications, skills, and experience:
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field such as Public Health, Environmental Health, Geography, Chemical Sciences, Biological Sciences or Statistical Sciences;
- A good understanding of air quality, and the linkages between exposure to air pollution and negative impacts on human health, will be an advantage;
- A basic understanding of epidemiology and/or biostatistics will be an advantage
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team;
- Self-motivation and ability to be stimulated by the scientific environment.
Should you meet the above requirements, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and surname, position title and reference number in the subject line, (e.g. John Smith: Doctoral Studentship – Environmental Health: Reference No: (307841)
Closing date: 31 March